What is he smoking?
Maybe it's because the whole Catholic pro-life thing is still fresh in Irish minds that we can only look at this recent statement of Bush's with a raised eyebrow or two.
With now sense of irony, George W.Bush has praised 'faith-based groups' for their sterling work in the (wait for it) fight against AIDS.
Is it just me or does everyone else immediately associate HIV prevention = condoms? Meanwhile the first priority of any decent compassionate Catholic organisation is of course to prevent anyone from using condoms–God knows why, literally.
Yet Bush says 'They are helping to defeat this epidemic one soul at a time.'
Give me a break. In addition, his funding restrictions require that groups advocate his absurd abstinence program, which has been repeatedly proven to be ineffective. Criticism of the 'abstinence-only' approach to sex education has been officially levelled by:
- The American Psychological Association
- The American Medical Association
- The National Association of School Psychologists
- The Society for Adolescent Medicine
- The American College Health Association
- The American Academy of Paediatrics
- The American Public Health Association
So I say, Bush grow up. Just because you didn't get laid until you were 25 (and that was a pity shag) don't spoil it for the rest of the world.